Monday, June 20, 2011

Our Love Affair with Lime Blue



With a mission to promote all things local,  we made a trip to Lime Blue. Lime Blue, located on Queen Street in downtown Charleston, makes one feel like they have taken "happy pills". From clay birds and owl (piggy) banks, to platters and paintings, everything is so full of life and personality. Shop owner and artist, Jeff Kopish, not only displays his own work in the gallery but that of other local and talented artists. Jeff and his trusty gatekeeper, Janey (his yellow lab), make everyone feel welcome. Our love for Jeff's work made us curious about what makes him tick so we twisted Jeff's arm and he committed to an interview about his shop and his passion for art. Below is the interview as well as some pictures from the gallery.

Tell us about your background. We know you also have quite a passion for gardening and horticulture. 
I studied microbiology, ecology, botany, and biology as an undergraduate.  As a sort of therapy, I took art ceramic classes.  I've always loved gardening.  I grew up reading seed catalogs with my Grandmother and planning our dream gardens. Nature has always been a huge influence in my life.

What inspires you daily to create such amazing pieces of art?
I'm not really good at being inspired daily... sometimes I feel "fallow" and don't have any new ideas and am afraid that I'll never have any more.

What are your favorite sources of inspiration?
There is inspiration all over. I think one of my greatest attributes is that I really notice things, and sometimes see them in different ways.

What made you want to open your own gallery? 
Opening the shop was purely accidental. I was one of Blink's (the store before me) artists. When she closed the shop, I stayed. I'm happy I did it in the long run, but it is a lot of work! 

Where else in Charleston can your work be found?
I am very fortunate to have been commissioned to do work for Taco Boy, Mepkin Abbey, and the Family Circle Cup. Nina Liu, on State Street, also has some of my pieces. She is a huge inspiration to me, along with loads of other local artists and friends. Charleston Gardens, Abide a While, and Tin Roof Studios in North Carolina also sell my ceramic works.

Thank You Jeff!
Fish made from recycled materials found around town




We both had to get a sweet bird towel
Great pendant lights, perfect for a girl's bedroom
A vase just right for displaying summer flowers
Shop Lime Blue!!!!!!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...