Friday, August 12, 2011

Sunbutter Cookies

 I love peanut butter cookies! They have always been a favorite of mine. When I was a child, I used to make them with my grandmother and remember using the fork to make lines on the tops before popping them in the oven. I have missed sharing this ritual with my kids since peanuts are out of the question due to their allergies; a common issue with many children. Since discovering Sunbutter, my world has changed a bit. Now I can make Sunbutter and jam sandwiches for school lunches, spread some on toast with bananas and honey, and even make mock peanut butter cookies. If you are not familiar with Sunbutter, it is made from sunflower seeds in a peanut-free facility. It is a good source of protein and essential fats while being delicious. Here is my recipe for Sunbutter Cookies. You can substitute with peanut butter if your home is allergy free. I also like to add chocolate chips!

Sunbutter Cookies

1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
(sift the above together)

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
(cream together)
add
1 egg
1/2 cup Sunbutter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Blend well and add dry to wet ingredients. Throw in some chocolate chips. Place on cookie sheet or baking stone and bake at 325 for 14 minutes or till golden on top. Enjoy!! Kari

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...