Monday, August 1, 2011

An Interview with Local Potter, Betsey Carter





The first time we saw Betsey Carter's work was on a visit to Cone 10 Studio. We were inspired by the simplicity, functionality and grace of her pieces. We had the honor of showing her work in a Bloom' in Art show and remember people quickly scoffing up their favorite mug, bowl, or meditation stone for themselves or as gifts for loved ones. Betsey's work is not to be missed. Her passion and honesty are ever-present in her art. 
Tell us a bit about your background as a potter.
I received a B.A. from Agnes Scott College, majoring in art, and my M.Ln. (Master of Librarianship) from Emory University. Additional studies in ceramics include: Gibbes Museum School (SC), with Susan Filley; Arrowmont School of Crafts (TN), with Julia Galloway; Haystack Mountain School of Crafts (ME), with George Bowes and with Philippe Barde.

Cone 10 Studio a is a great place for artists do their work and share their work with the community, can you elaborate on your mission at Cone 10.
We are a community of clay artists, promoting the ceramic arts and broadening the local creative culture, by providing studios, exhibition space, and educational opportunities. We share resources and maintenance of the common space. As a working studio and gallery, members produce individually created work, and at the same time, mutually support one another with information, ideas, and critique.

What inspires you daily to create such amazing pieces of pottery?
Mainly, I cannot imagine not working in clay. I find great inspiration from historical ceramics. I draw or take pictures of things I see as I go through my day, and make lists of ideas. I keep a tiny notebook with me to write down ideas, words, pieces of literature, things I hear or read that grab my attention.

Living in the Charleston area where there are so many amazing things happening locally, what are you favorite local sources of inspiration?
Recently I've become interested in reinterpreting the English porcelain vessels acquired by prosperous 18th and 19th century Charlestonians. You see these vessels on mantles and in antique shops - vases, and urns in colorful glazes, sometimes with pastoral scenes, often gold trimmed. I make similarly shaped vessels, incorporating literary passages and popular aphorisms, small drawings, and elaborate trim referencing these objects with a modern aesthetic. I see these as an outgrowth of my functional work. As fancy as they are, they are still pitchers, vases, plates, and bowls, and can be used as such.

What is your favorite part of what you do and what is your not so favorite?
Of course, making work is the best. Cleaning up is probably my least favorite part – but a clean clay studio is a healthy studio.

Where else in Charleston can your work be found?
Cone 10 Studios, Carolina Clay Gallery in Freshfields Village, Four Green Fields in Summerville, Charleston Crafts, Mepkin Abbey

What do you want to share with Charleston through your art?
I am drawn to functional art because I love knowing that an object I made can enhance someone's life; bringing a little beauty and grace to daily living -- a porcelain bowl of strawberries for the table, a restorative pot of tea, a sweet little pitcher of milk. I like to think that my work is both a reflection of and contributes to the conscious living and attention to beauty that is Charleston.

Do you have any special tips for new artists and potters out there?
Just show up every day and keep making work.

Thanks Betsey!
Functionality at it's best!
The perfect tea pot for a traditional English Tea.
OK so not the best picture. Early morning, no make-up, my three joys, and my favorite mug. A gentle reminder to always
BE KIND.
 Liz drinks her daily cup of joe out of this Betsy Carter mug. Another great reminder when raising tweens and a teen!


~Liz & Kari



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...