Monday, June 27, 2011

The Art of the Dance


My nineteen year old niece, Leilani, born and raised in Hawaii, has been dancing the hula since she was 4 years old. The first time I saw her dance was at my wedding in 1998. As a gift to her uncle and I she danced the hula in front of a crowd of 200 guests. It was the best gift we could have received. Everyone was amazed by the passion and love that exuded from such a young girl. This beautiful and bright young woman continues to share her love of hula with the world. While we are sharing my journey to Hawaii this week I knew I could not leave out the "art of hula". Hula is known as the "soul of Hawaii" shown through movement. Historical sources tell us that hula was originally performed by a god or goddess and therefore the dance is a sacred ritual. Below Leilani shares her knowledge and love for this ancient art in an interview.

Tell us a bit about your background, when did you start Hula dancing and where has your path taken you?
I started dancing hula at the age of four and never would my parents think that it would eventually become something that defines me and shaped me into the person I am today.

Tell us about Hula, it is more than a dance correct?
Hula has really become a lifestyle for me. There is never a break from hula, it is year long. The people who dance with me have become my family. During competition time, we are together what seems to be every day. We travel together and bond as sisters and brothers.

What inspires you daily to want to keep dancing and learning?
What inspires me to keep dancing and learning is every person who tells me how much they enjoyed my dancing. Their happiness makes me want to keep growing as a hula dancer.

Living in the Hawaii where there is so much beauty around you, what are your favorite sources of inspiration?
Huaka’i is a word meaning to journey or to take a trip. Sometimes when we are learning about a particular area, we go on a huaka’i in order to learn more about that place, its surroundings and its environment. Being able to see and feel exactly what the composer saw and felt back in ancient Hawai‘i is an inspiring source of inspiration. One of my favorites was the first time I went to the volcanoes on the island of Hawai’i.

What is your favorite part of what you do and what is your not so favorite?
My favorite part of hula is sharing it with others. When others are able to feel enjoyment from what I love, I feel like it is what I am supposed to do forever. My not so favorite part of hula is that because I invested my entire life into this lifestyle, I sometimes miss out on other fun things. Don’t get me wrong I love hula, but because it is always my first priority, some other things get put on the back burner. One example is that I missed my junior prom to go to a hula competition. Although it was a bummer not to go to prom, I don’t regret not going.

You have danced all over, what has been the most exciting place you have gotten to dance?
In Hilo, Hawai‘i there is a hula competition called the Merrie Monarch Festival. The Merrie Monarch is like the Olympics of hula. I was most excited when I first stepped on to the stage at Merrie Monarch. My dream was coming true at that exact moment. It was what I worked so hard for. That is why the Merrie Monarch Stage is the most exciting place I have gotten to dance.

What do you want to share with people through your art?
I hope that every person who watches me dance can see how hula brings me joy. I want them to share in the happiness of hula.

Hula involves learning more than just the art of the dance, tell us about what else it entails. 
Because  I danced hula, I began learning the Hawaiian language. Hula is all about telling the stories of ancient Hawai‘i through song and dance. Not every hula dancer is required to learn Hawaiian but I chose to in order to better understand the meanings behind the stories.

In Hawaiian there is a word Mana. Mana is a spirit or a divine power. Each person makes their own costumes and leis for hula to put their own mana into their adornments. Positive energy and spirit is put into the leis and costumes which will be reflected in the dances in which the costumes and leis are worn.

Mahalo Leilani!


(Leilani dances at Halau Ka Liko Pua O Kalaniakea and her production company is Kawailanamalie Productions)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...